This page outlines network security aspects of Monochrome and Monochrome Cloud.
Monochrome contains the following network functions:
- Check for and download updates
- Error reporting
- Send feedback message to dev team
- Manage binding to Monochrome Cloud
- Sync with Monochrome Cloud
- Communication with cloud storage services (SmugMug, Flickr, etc)
At this time (first public beta, 2011-08-17) all communication is over HTTP. We will introduce HTTPS later on, where necessary.
For cloud binding, no passwords are used. Monochrome uses a single-use passphrase mechanism to set up the binding. The passphrase is sent to your email account, so as long as your email account is secure there is no additional security exposure.